Don’t even think about venturing into the kitchen and turning on anything that generates heat.
Instead, stick your head in the fridge and pull out a bunch of carrots and find a couple of stone fruits.
In this post, we’ve turned the ingredients into a fast and simple Carrot Nectarine Salad topped sliced almonds. Reminiscent of the 1950-60s carrot-raisin salad (often with chopped walnuts), this carrot salad is tossed lightly in a touch of honey, apple cider vinegar and mayo.
You could skip the dressing and toss the grated carrots and fruit chunks with a couple of ice cubes into a blender, add some yogurt make a cold smoothie. Gin’s Kitchen also likes the carrots and fruit accompanied with dollop of plain yogurt atop breakfast cereal. A teaspoon or two of honey makes everything sweeter.
Sharing with you just a few delicious possibilities to help you stay cool – plus get some beta-carotene, fiber and other good things inside your body – during this hot endless summer.
Recipe: Carrot Nectarine Salad
This salad comes together in minutes. Keep undressed salad in fridge and lightly toss with dressing just before serving.
- 4-5 carrots
- 1-2 nectarines or peaches
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Best Foods (Hellmans) mayonnaise
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Prepare ingredients: lightly toast almonds over medium high heat in small sauté pan on the stove. Turn almond slices often and watch carefully. When ready, remove almond slices to a shallow dish to cool. Grate carrots on the large holes of a box grater. Cut fruit into pieces sized to fit into your mouth. Make the dressing in a medium bowl by mixing together apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise and honey until smooth.
- Make salad: add the grated carrots and cut fruit to the dressing; toss lightly just before serving.
Serves 2-3 as a side dish.