Summer green beans. Lots of beans – bush, Chinese long, string, French filet, pole. When it’s hot, they and their garden friends – zucchini and cucumbers – race to see who can grow the most by the hour.
Green Beans and Shrimp with Eggs, is satisfying for a light lunch or dinner with or without rice. Green beans sweeten and soften when quickly sautéed and cook quickly. Shrimp can be substituted with bacon or omitted.
Choose the smallest of the day’s bean harvest for they’ll be most tender. Cut the beans no more than half-inch long and the shrimp a little larger. Saute both for about a minute, add scrambled eggs, let eggs set, flip over, cook for a few more seconds, and plate up!
This homestyle Cantonese dish traditionally uses the abundance of Chinese long beans, also known as yard long beans – but don’t wait until they get too long before picking for the beans will be too fibrous to eat. And they lose their sweet flavor as they get longer. When to pick? Your choice, 1 -2 feet? Any type of green beans, short or long, can be used in this dish.
Recipe: Green Beans and Shrimp with Eggs
The shrimp can be omitted or replaced with a different cooked protein. Undercook the beans slightly to help retain their texture and sweetness.
- generous 1 cup cut green beans
- 5-7 medium shrimp
- 2 large eggs
- couple grinds of black pepper, optional
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- oyster flavored sauce or soy sauce to taste, optional
- Prepare ingredients: cut green beans into pieces no larger than 1/2″. Peel and devein shrimp; drain well. Cut shrimp into pieces a little larger than cut beans. Scramble eggs in a small bowl with pepper.
- Sauté: heat oil until shimmering in a sauté pan over high heat. Add beans and shrimp, reduce heat to medium high, and sauté until beans are barely tender (chomp on one) and shrimp is cooked (pink). Reduce heat to medium, spread out beans and shrimp and pour scrambled eggs over all. Cook eggs until the bottom is set, about 30 seconds and carefully flip over ingredients in 2-4 sections. Cook until bottom is set, about 20-30 seconds.
- Finish: plate up and smear with a teaspoon of oyster sauce or drizzle with soy sauce if desired.
Serves 2 as a light lunch.